Thursday, November 24, 2011

Compassion



Compassion is to see a lack in others and to feel sorrow due to their lack.  Compassion sees needs, it gives room for weakness, it excuses actions done from pain.  Compassion can have its weakness, for it often will treat an adult like a child, or will sometimes shield from positive hurt.  But in its best form, compassion does not lessen the other person, but moves one to wise action.

Opposite: To judge others for their weakness, to be apathetic to another’s plight.

What is my first reaction to someone in weakness?  Do I tend to blame or to understand?  Do I reason in my mind ways to separate from them, to treat them as immoral or to be frustrated at their weakness?  Or do I take pity on their weakness?  Can I weep with those who weep?  Do I search for ways to comfort or to avoid the weak?

No comments: